Professional Boundaries Program
What is the PBP?
Why we developed PBP
The Professional Boundary Program was specifically developed to address the unique environment of the healthcare setting and the unique nature of the patient/physician relationship. We offer a three day (24 hours) psychoeducational course that is interactive, facilitated by experienced instructors, and conducted in a small group setting. This program has been approved for 42 hours of Category 1 CME* and has four components: Assessment, Change, Implementation, and Follow-up. The follow-up program includes individual Executive Coaching to help support the healthcare provider upon completion of the program.
- Increase personal insight into the multiple factors that contribute to boundary crossings, sexual harassment, or sexual misconduct, including personal values and beliefs, cultural and gender issues, and other personal paradigms;
- Enhance personal and professional coping and communication skills to reduce patient/staff complaints and professional risk in the future.
- Increase empathy for high-risk patient populations that place physicians at risk for boundary violations.
- Develop improved personal and professional boundary management skills that lead to enduring change.
- Practice new skills and behaviors in a safe, confidential and supportive setting with other physicians.
Is the PBP Right for you?
The Professional Boundaries Program is appropriate for any healthcare provider who has had a complaint filed against them with a state medical board or healthcare facility, accusing them of sexual harassment or misconduct with patients, staff, or colleagues. A referral to the PBP may also be appropriate in an effort to reduce the risk for providers who work with high-risk patient populations, or those who wish to demonstrate self-corrective action to their medical executive committees. If you are a healthcare provider on probation for a past accusation, please check with your individual probation monitor or state medical board to verify that the Professional Boundaries Program will meet the requirements of your stipulated agreement. The Professional Boundaries Program conducted by Inner Solutions for Success meets or exceeds most state medical board requirements, and has been approved by the Medical Board of California.